Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Blast From The Past: Sonny Rollins

Another viewing of last week's Ben Webster/Teddy Wilson video has put me in that ballad mood. These past few days I've been listening to some of the greatest of jazz balladeers: Lester Young, Keith Jarrett, and Sonny Rollins. Although Sonny Rollins is always mentioned in a listing of the greatest saxophonists of all time, the artistry of his ballads is not often -or not often enough- discussed. Sonny is one of the most powerful of all ballad players. The pairing of his unique, large tone with his heartfelt way of interpretation and improvisation combine to make a truly potent and beautiful ballad. Here Sonny is featured playing "My One And Only Love" in 1982. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has just made me so happy. I'm an old lady(83)in Toronto,Canada and forever a jazz fan. To find this wonderful, generous Sonny Rollins tune here on my own computer is just the greatest thing. I love it. I'm trying to find something more exciting to say..

Unknown said...

The name Sonny Rollins says it all as one of the true JAZZ GREAT.
I love him tremendously. His music, his style, his soloing,..
love his balads...his love for calypso and how he has manifested this love to the world with his music. A master of timing. I just
don't know how to stop. God bless you Sonny....stay tuned....

Kiddo H.....St. Thomass, V.I.